Chief Research Scientist
Phone : +91-80-22933268 (O)
Fax : +91-80-23604534
Energy and Environmental policy, economics and modeling; Energy access, Sustainable development and Global climate change; Technology management and Sustainability.
Bachelors: B.E (Mech. Engg.), Mangalore University
Masters: M.Sc. (Engg.), Indian Institute of Science
Ph.D.: PhD in Energy and Environment, Indian Institute of Science
- Management of Technology for Sustainability
- Energy Systems and Sustainability
- Applied Operations Research
- Renewable Energy, Environment and Economics
- Managerial Economics (in 2005)
- Energy Policy
Awards / Honours / Affiliations
- Ranked among top 2% of the Energy Scientists in the World according to the Stanford University publication
- Ranked among top 10 management researchers in India and ranked Number ONE researcher in the “Strategic Management” domain in India, 2018.
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Manipal University, A Deemed University, Manipal, 2011.
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, A Deemed University, Manipal, 2007.
- Won B.G. Raghavendra memorial award for the best application paper in Operations Research at the XXXII Operational Research Society of India Annual Convention and International Conference on Operational Research in Small and Medium Enterprises, 20-22 December 1999, Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati.
- Awarded IAS/UNU fellowship to attend a Short Training Course on Planning for Environmentally Sustainable Development in the Asia- Pacific Region (Sept 22 – Oct. 10, 1997), Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, THAILAND.
- Balasubramanian, S. and Balachandra, P., “Effectiveness of demand response in achieving supply-demand matching in a renewables dominated electricity system: A modelling approach”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol 147, 2021, pp 111245.
- Joseph, Akhil and Balachandra, P., “An Energy Internet for India: are we ready for a technology leapfrogging?”, Environmental Research: Infrastructure and Sustainability, Vol 1, 2021, 012001.
- Balasubramanian, S. and Balachandra, P., “Characterising electricity demand through load curve clustering: A case of Karnataka electricity system in India”, Computers and Chemical Engineering, Vol 150, 2021, pp 107316.
- Joseph, Akhil and Balachandra, P., “Smart Grid to Energy Internet: A Systematic Review of Transitioning Electricity Systems”, IEEE Access, Volume 8, 2020, Article number 9272724, Pages 215787-215805
- Joseph, Akhil and Balachandra, P., “Energy Internet, the Future Electricity System: Overview, Concept, Model Structure, and Mechanism”, Energies, 13(16), 4242, 2020.